Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Night of Goblins



The sun bowed down to the Harvest moon,
on a cold October night -
and the wing of Crow sought shelter
 as the Owls wing took flight.

The shadows of the barnyard
grew tall, and long and lean - when
the farmers cat ran to the wood pile
and let out a rancid scream.

Then silence gave voice to a beating heart,
as goblins approached the door - where
a skeleton hung his weary bones
that carried flesh years before.

Laughing faces of Jack -O- Lanterns
welcomed the unearthly guests - to
the opening of the mansion
where stood the Witch who knew
no rest.

Her smile long and painful
seemed as if to say, “So my little friends,
did you come here to stay?”
But, she held back her darkside mumbling

“ Well, my dears what could you darlings be?”
The bigger goblin answered quickly,

“I am a pirate, and this is Cinderella,
my sister – she just turned three.”

Tricks there were none for the moment,
as treats filled the goblins purse -
and they ran as fast as they could
in fear of the Old Witches curse.

Then darkness slipped past midnight -
and the Wise Old Gnome crawled
out from the woods –
retracting the spell of the season –
calling all spirits now to be good.

The fairies came forth from their refuge
and flew towards the night sky-
to sparkle and watch over
all the sleeping goblins.

Now that Halloween has passed by -


bkmackenzie
copyrighted 2008

23 comments:

  1. Oh I loved this poem. I love Halloween too.


    A berry nice place to visit!

    Wysteria

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful poem! I love the rhythm.

    thank you for stopping by my blog today and leaving your words of encouragement

    Hopefully I'll see you again

    I look forward to reading more of you poetry

    take care
    Hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I never expected fairies to be in this halloweenish tale. Here's mine http://thelunaticsdiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. A spooky halloween tale with a great ending - loved the form, rhythm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. spooky sweet, what a Halloween treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really well written, nice flow,rhyming and a fun Halloween story.
    Victoria
    Mine is here:
    http://liv2write2day.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/jingles-poetry-potluck-all-hallows-eve/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really love this, maybe more so because my daughter hovers between the scarier elements at 4 and now the attempt to "unscare" her senses at least to some degree. You made Halloween sweet! Excellent writing =)) ~April

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a wonderful, spooky, enjoyable read...thanks for sharing and joining in the fun...pete

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful, I enjoyd reading it... thanks for sharing BKM, the last para was great..

    ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Om Namah Shivaya
    Twitter: @VerseEveryDay
    Blog: http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. vivid description of Halloween spirits,
    lovely image.

    a perfect scary movie clip for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! great!how i wish i could write like this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of Halloween fun - nice Potluck entry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this was fun and cute, and very well written. It had a "Hansel and Gretel" feel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a sweet poem and so perfect for Halloween. That would make a great card :) I just loved that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautifully written fun poem. Cheers bkm :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice Halloween Poem. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The rhyming, the rhythm, the flow - Hallowe'en perfect, bkm!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whimsical! It almost makes me want to be a child again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was really beginning to think of the curse, and where the poem's headed! But then all ended well.. and I am glad it did!

    "Then silence gave voice to a beating heart" -- I really liked this particular line a lot!! It had so much depth to it...

    I really enjoyed the gripping nature of the poem.. felt like I was reading a mystery book!
    Thanks a ton for sharing it with poetry potluck, bkm...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Magical.. Timeless and beautifully written. Whilst reading it makes me feel all young, bubbly and innocent again ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What fun and I think I will make our own little book of your wonderful poems. Thank you for making that offer. Of course, if you ever publish one, I will be one of the first to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Margaret Thank you so much for your wonderful comment...maybe someday I will self publish a Children's Book...even if only to have them all put together...bkm

    ReplyDelete

We Beary Much Love your thoughts and comments....Please Visit us here again....