Friday, November 19, 2010

Something Fell From the Sky





Something fell from the sky last night
When the moon had one eye closed
It was the midnight train, carrying the rainbow's light
On it's final pass across the North Pole

It was right on track to the northern star
When the engineer let our a scurried cry,
"Sam, you had better cut her loose!
She's lost her stream, if you don't we'll surely both die."

The sound of the hammer hitting the iron
Made a crack that split the north wind
And the cars started falling, spinning and turning,
rolling over and over again



Ribbons of color poured from the tankers
And lit up the once empty black night
Intertwining shades of blue and green-yellow
With hues of red-violet across purple delight

The great north pines stood up in awe
As the sky shimmered and danced in time
Then after a night of continuing curtain calls
The moon opened both of its eyes to shine

You ask how do I know this? Well..
I witnessed it all as I sat on my windowsill,
And if in all of my life I should never see it again
That vision of light will stay with me still...

Yes, something fell from the sky last night
when the moon had one eye closed...

bkmackenzie
copyrighted 2008

Tribute to the Aurora Borealis - the Northern Lights....which I was so lucky to witness as a child....bkm


16 comments:

  1. oh, this was wonderful! well written and a joy to read
    Amazing sight isn't it? And to hear them too...
    thank you
    love the images

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Hope, I like this story....means much that you like it too...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an amazing piece,
    wild yet eloquent imagery...
    Thanks for sharing it with potluck poetry.
    Happy Sunday!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a perfect poem to end the evening with. It charms the child in each of us. Nice, effortless (apparently) rhyming.

    Here's mine: http://liv2write2day.wordpress.com/2010/12/06/jingles-poetry-rally-dream/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great story about the northern lights. I absolutely loved it.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could have witnessed this very sight.Dreamy!

    Loved it to bits!Truly beautiful read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your rhyme and flow is superb! and your ability to tell a story is just fantastic! you had me from the very first line! and what a beautiful tale you tell! :) Happy potluck!
    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have actually witness this before? wow! anyway, here's mine submission- http://fiveloaf.wordpress.com/2010/01/15/head/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delight...love that the pines stood up in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really great, whimsical. Love the description of the moon with one eye closed, and the whole description/explanation of Northern Lights. Very imaginative. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhhhhhhhh... beautiful! Witnessing something as lovely as this would be quite SOMETHING!! And you have narrated it in such a delightful manner... really impressive! I so wish I can see something like this myself... maybe tonight I will ... Moon darling, please help me..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely. There is something magical about those lights (I've seen them twice and been in awe both times) and you captured it beautifully, bkm.

    My potluck: so maybe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicely done! the Northern Lights have kept me company on a few moonless winter nights - excellent imagery

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely poem. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great verse.. I liked it very much.
    thanks

    ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Om Namah Shivaya
    Tweet me @VerseEveryDay

    ReplyDelete

We Beary Much Love your thoughts and comments....Please Visit us here again....