Sunday, December 5, 2010

Winter Quests

Illustration by:  Ernest Aris 1947

Oh My, it is cold outside
Please do come in
the children are waiting
all day they have been
anticipating your visit
as well as myself
I have prepared a fine meal
and brought down canned plums
from the shelf

Oh do, bring in the baby
that little one is not so very old
 I have a good warm fire, and
blankets to keep us all from the bitter cold
filled with soft goose down
 cozy we all shall be
with plenty love too, to go around
for all, the children, for you and me

Yes,  you will stay
 the whole night
as the grey skies loom
seeing your faces was bless'ed indeed
and we in this tree do have lots
 and lots of room
safe you will be here
 as we eat and we talk
reminising on last winter's promise
of having such wonderful, 
 heartfelt quests
that are finally now
 upon us

bkmackenzie
copyrighted 2010

Posted for Monday's Child #24

7 comments:

  1. I love this! I strolled right on in, wallowed in the warmth and helped myself to some stew.
    most enjoyable1
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very fitting piece for this time of the year, when the woods are rather chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an inviting warmth here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, to be a rabbit, when the winter's here...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my is cold outside...love that line

    ReplyDelete
  6. The guests are now upon us... but the poem speaks of great hospitality!

    ReplyDelete

We Beary Much Love your thoughts and comments....Please Visit us here again....